Wednesday 28 May 2014

2 day camping run - the route

The next step in planning the 2 day run is the route.

The planned route is to get the train to Dent, arriving at 07:41. From there:

Day one

  • Blea Moor
  • Whernside
  • Chapel-le-Dale
  • Ingleborough
  • Horton in Ribblesdale
  • Pen-y-Gent
  • Plover Hill
  • Foxup
  • Halton Gill
  • Hawkswick Cote
That works out at around 45 km according to the map. So up to 50 km in total. The amount of ascent is difficult to calculate. The fell race website reckons the 3 Peaks is 1400m, plus Blea Moor. Probably 1800m of ascent in total.

At an average of 6km per hour that's nine hours for distance alone, or eleven if we factor in a rough guess at ascent. Twelve hours from 07:40 is 19:40, which isn't a rude time to be arriving at a campsite, especially since we're overestimating here to allow contingency time. On the day I'll be tracking my pace with the gps, so regardless of the exact distance I'll be trying to keep a pace I'm happy with (target/max 6km/h).

Day two

Option 1:
  • Kettlewell
  • Grassington
  • Burnsall
  • Bolton Abbey
  • Home
45km

Option 2:

  • Mastiles Lane
  • Bordley
  • Hetton
  • Flasby Fell
  • Skipton
  • Home
(not measured yet)


Option 1 is looking favourite, because a) I know the route better, which saves having to carry a 1:25000 (more about that when I post about kit), and b) if I've overestimated my fitness or get the food wrong, it passes settlements where I can get food, or at worst a bus.

Option 2 would be good if I was wild camping, since Hawkswick Clowder has lots of craggy shelter to get out of the wind.

I'm being a bit conservative with this: overestimating travel time, taking shorter/easier route choices, to try and make it a comfortable, relaxing couple of days instead of a slog. I haven't done more than marathon distance in a few years, so going all out to run 100km with as much ascent as I can pack in probably wouldn't be wise. 50km a day at a gentle trotting pace hopefully won't be too bad. Depending on how this goes, I might do something a bit more gruelling later in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment