Tuesday, 8 September 2026

The 50th Bullock Smithy

 This is Claire's favourite event, and the 50th anniversary was definitely one to enter. For the route, I prefer the Fellsman but the Bullock still has the feel of a Scouts event in a way that the Fellsman has started to lose in recent years. Of everything I do, the Bullock has the traditions and community atmosphere that I value highly.

We set off a bit late - 9.30 - and time was getting on by the time we reached Hazel Grove. Frustratingly the "part of the car park will be in use by NHS" turned out to be "almost the entire carpark will be inaccessible", and everything was a bit chaotic. We eventually found a spot in the nearby industrial estate, where I faffed for a while trying to make sure I didn't block the gate into the (closed and semi-derelict) CarpetRight site.

Eventually we got sorted and headed up to registration. Found ourselves in the queue next to Imtiaz so we chatted about this year's hundred and the unbelievable heat. Picked up our Felltrack bracelets & numbers, coasters and t-shirts, and finished off the various little bits of kit adjustment needed. There were lots of people around we knew to some or other degree but it was all very busy.

As usual we started to walk out to the park around 11.30. I was just debating fetching the scones that were in the van, but it was a bit too late. We picked up our tallies in the park and stood around waiting for the start.


Rob Massey started the announcements about ten to, and ran through the usual stuff about the route etc, then talked a little about George Matuszewski, who'd passed away over the last year. Lots of people knew George to some degree, he was a fun and friendly character who always seemed to be popping up somewhere. I think he'd done every Bullock since the start. Various hikers were scattering his ashes around the course, so he'll be there for every subsequent Bullock too.

We got started just after 12, and I walked with Claire until we left the housing estate then picked it up a bit. It was a warm day and I soon started to feel quite hot. Coming through Lyme and then climbing up to Bowstones I caught up with Nick chatting with Tony Wimbush and said hi, then Francis Wooff just in front of them. Dropping down the road after Bowstones I was struck by how much further the road route is than turning off down the hill - Claire took the field route and said she thought it was better.

Over the next km or so I thought my pace was picking up a bit high (I was around 7min/km) and eased off. I think this was a mistake with hindsight, as I was definitely slower during the day than I usually would be.

At Chinley there were hoards of cars on the road, making the crossing difficult. I caught up with Julian Brown for the first time as I crossed the road, and we chatted for a while on the way over to the Edale Cross track.

I pushed on up the track, dodging out of the way of a tractor and muck spreader, and made reasonable time up the hill. Down the other side, dodging day trippers all the way down, and onto the road in the Hope valley. This was somewhere I could probably have moved quicker.

At Edale I quickly scoffed down some rice pudding. I'd been sipping intermittently at the peanut butter so far, but I was keen to avoid the belching and nausea that sometimes causes me problems (spoiler - I didn't, but did postpone it).

Over Hollins Cross, just as I reached the top a familiar runner (his name is Nigel, it turned out at the prize giving) came in from the right. He evidently has a different route up from Edale (and I always catch him up here). Looking at the map I'd guess he avoids the road and comes up the track opposite the community centre, which looks like a decent route.

Pausing to eat a bit of cheese scone, I dropped down towards Castleton, being careful with the gate that has bitten me multiple times.

At Castleton I paused for a water refill - I was going through the water today - and on up the field behind the Devils Arse. This is a tough climb but went OK. Onto the Limestone Way, noticing some bell pits near the medieval lead mines that I'd never noticed before.

George on the back of this year's tally.

Descending towards Peak Forest I was feeling a little ropey and held my pace down again. Through the fields after the farm track everyone seemed to have followed a wrong line through the fields.

At Peak Forest I stopped for a few minutes to regroup. As I arrived I discovered Kate who I've met a couple of times on the Fellsman, who commented that she "didn't really think of you existing outside the Fellsman", which gave me a chuckle.

I munched through a couple of boiled potatoes with salt and a few crisps, then got going up the road. Peak Forest seemed to have more to offer this year, the boiled potatoes were a new thing and very welcome.

From here to Millers Dale I was running continuously, if not fast. That was a general theme for the whole day. Kate came storming past looking strong, although I was to see her again much later.

At Millers Dale I was feeling slightly below par. Mood dropping and some cold sweats. I've struggled badly just after Millers Dale before, so I decided to head it off and have some food and a cup of tea. Half a cheese scone, some nuts and a brew, and I was ready to get going again.

I was still low dropping into the village, but I gradually rallied until, by the time I hit the track I was feeling a lot stronger. A couple of people went up the road, but I pushed on up the steep climb and by the time I reached the main road crossing I was feeling OK. As I crossed the road a girl in the window of the house opposite was waving with her dogs paw, which cheered me up quite a bit.

Over the top of the hill and on to Chelmorton. The light was fading, which meant I was a bit behind schedule. The scouts at Chelmorton were a jolly bunch having a great time, and very helpful.

After Chelmorton always feels like I'm on top of things again, and I ran in fairly briskly to Earl Sterndale. It was fully dark by the time I reached Earl Sterndale which was an unwelcome surprise as it meant I was very behind schedule. I didn't stop long there, just enough to get my torch out of my bag, and got going again.

I caught up another runner on the moor top, and as we dropped off the other side I warned him to be careful - for the first time ever I didn't fall on my arse, probably because this time I was wearing fell shoes.

The lane was busier than I've ever seen it, 3 or 4 vehicles passed me on the way up. Claire said there were a lot more when she got there. A moments hesitation over the unclear path after the cattle grid, then down to barking dog farm.

Here, we were supposed to follow event signage to avoid the pop up campsite. I couldn't find anything except the new footpath signage which may have been what was meant. Across the other side I was with a couple of people who went off to the right at the pond. I straightened us out with a glance at my handheld, and on up to Brand Top.

As I climbed the steep slope I could see a torch looking down, which was puzzling. As I reached the top, it was a couple of supporters ringing a cow bell - a strange and remote place to be supporting, but quite a nice surprise. There were lots of supporters out on the course this year - a result of the record entry I guess.

At Brand Top I was reminded to stick with another runner, which I completely ignored as everyone else there wanted a hot dog. I forgot to fill my water bottle which was a bad mistake as this is a long leg.

Back out into the night and up to 3 Shires Head. I was making good progress now and feeling pretty happy. Into Wildboarclough and down the road to the usual enthusiastic welcome from Clough House. I was feeling just slightly queasy so I ate a few nuts and gulped down a quick coffee. There were quite a few people here and shortly after I arrived Julian arrived with a few others.

I was pushing along OK after Clough House, and caught up with a group ahead of me just as we got to Macc Forest. Kate was among them, and we talked about things Fellsman and events more generally. Her dad who's usually along had dropped out of the Bullock early on with what sounded like a painful achilles tweak.

By the time we reached Walker Barn the 3 behind had slowed a bit and we were 2 groups of 3. One of our party took us a nice route through the fields to Rainow, which seems to be shorter but slightly slower than the road (Julian later confirmed there's very little in it), although I may have been holding us up a bit. It's certainly nicer, and unless I was challenging my PB I think I'd use it again in future. At Rainow I felt really sick and stopped for a few minutes while the others cracked on.

I'd eaten a bit of cheese before arriving in the hope of easing my nausea. At the CP I was eyeballing the milk they were putting in tea and wondering about asking for just the milk with no tea, then I saw the lemon cordial. That sounded perfect - "no added sugar" gave me a little reassurance (although it was a risk, if there was any fructose in it I was buggered but I wasn't thinking that clearly) and seemed to settle my stomach down almost instantly (although it could have been the cheese).

I got going down the hill and onto the final stretch. Running as hard as I could manage (except for a moment fussing a lovely long haired cat in the village) through Bollington and along the canal.

At the CP I checked in and immediately got going. I ran the whole Middleton way section, resisting the temptation to check my distance as much as possible, and minutely varying my pace to avoid burning out. Off at bridge 12, and there was only 5km to go.

With 1km to go I pushed hard, and finished the last km in about 6:30, a little faster than I normally would. I came through the door with a few minutes to spare before 14 hours. Not a brilliant time for me, but not bad and I'd mostly had a nice day out.

I succumbed to the shakes, twitches and shivers as usual. Someone kindly put a foil blanket on me as I lay on the floor, and I eventually started feeling a bit better and was able to have something to eat. I was there a while chatting (not sure how much sense I was making, I was still quite hypoglycaemic), then headed back to the van for a sleep before Claire came in.

Claire arrived back at the van about 5am, which woke me up with a start. We were both a bit cold but slept OK for a few hours. Around 8.30 I got up and limped to the petrol station to get us some coffee and pastry. Lots of walkers were coming in, to applause from supporters along the road.

We walked across to the scout hut around 10 for the prize giving which was fun as always. Lots of regulars around, and a real feel of the community of the event. Rory had finished in around nine and a half hours, a slow time for him but still impressive. Nick had completed his 22nd, Julian and another guy their 27th. Tony had done the very first in 1976 - I didn't hear whether he'd done any others in the 50 years since.

Over time I come to like the Bullock Smithy more. The whole long distance running landscape has changed beyond recognition in recent years, and a lot has been lost. The Bullock preserves a feeling of community and low key rivalry rather than outright competition, a culture that I'm much happier with than the modern sport feel of many events. A topic for another day.




Things that worked

  • My legs felt a lot better throughout, no tightness in my quads. Could be yoga, could be hill reps (probably both)
  • I treated us both to the Mountain Equipment bags in the sale. The aim for me was to have something with better front pockets, a little smaller and less bouncy than my UD 15-20. It worked really well, although I do need to decide on what goes where a bit better. And shorten the tube for my water bottle. Handy pocket for tally (although it won't work for the big round Fellsman tally. Mind you, who knows if I'll get Fellsman kit in a 14l bag!)
  • Lemon cordial seemed to sort the nausea out really quickly. Just needed something sharp I think. Ginger is supposed to work, so maybe I need to carry a couple of boiled lemon sweets or chocolate gingers.
  • The alternative Walker Barn to Rainow route was much nicer than the road, but not quite as quick.
  • Slowing my pace a little allowed me to carry on running when I otherwise might have walked. I think I just erred a bit too much on the side of caution.
  • Altra King MTs were the ideal shoes. Grippy, comfortable, just enough support



Things that didn't

  • Obviously I slowed down a bit too much. Although I did have a nice time.
  • Set off from home too late.
  • I was a bit too hot in the T-shirt I was wearing. I could have done with a lighter one.
    • That might also help to gauge my glucose. Cold sweats are an indicator of something going wrong, but can be masked by a sweat soaked T-shirt and the temperature dropping. A Brynje shirt could possibly help. Must try a CGM at some point.


Kit list

  • Awdis t shirt
  • patagonia shorts
  • drymax socks
  • Altra King MT 2.0 shoes
  • ME Tupilak 14 bag
  • Zebralight H600fw head torch & spare battery
  • Montane Minimus waterproof
  • Kalenji waterproof trousers
  • Inov8 primaloft
  • First aid kit
  • compass
  • map printed from OSMaps
  • Garmin eTrex
  • spare socks
  • buffs * 3
  • glasses
  • buff hat
  • OMM gloves
  • Montane windproof gilet
  • screw top beaker
  • survival bag
  • spare batteries for Garmin


Food

from my bag

  • 2 cheese scones
  • 1 tube peanut butter
  • 1 cereal bar
  • some nuts

CP food

  • crisps
  • boiled potatoes
  • one custard cream



Bag weight

4.5kg



No comments:

Post a Comment