Sunday 4 December 2016

Vivobarefoot Primus Trail SG review





Summary
These are proper trail shoes - barefoot shoes for fell runners. They grip like Inov8s but they're zero drop, wide toebox. If you're a barefoot/minimal fell runner, or you have a wide forefoot, or you run in barefoot shoes and you need a proper UK ready shoe that can handle mud, then these have your name on them.



Full Review
Trail Freak left, PT SG right showing the changed stud density
I came close to giving up on Vivobarefoot over the trail freak. To their credit, they gave me returns and discounts on multiple pairs as they fell apart under the strain of mud and contouring, but they were awful trail shoes for UK conditions. I think the problem was that they took a road shoe and gave it studs and called it a trail shoe. That's understandable - most 'trail shoes' are nothing more than that. Merrell Trail Gloves are the same - designed for nice dry surfaced paths, what tread they have is no more functional than the pseudo crampon ledges on the heel of cheap lowland walking boots. With the Merrell if you try contouring you'll fall on your arse. With the VB trail freak, they have enough grip to hold the slope (mostly, until the studs clog), but your foot will slide around in the overly floppy shoe. Enough of that and the strain will rip the upper from the sole. I'm pretty sure that's what was happening with the 3 pairs I wrecked in a short time.

Enter the Primus Trail SG. I nearly didn't bother - at 110 GBP they aren't cheap (although I got mine in a 20% promo, 90 quid is still not to be sniffed at), but I thought "Oh well, one more chance, they might have got it right this time".

They have.

These are the running shoes I've been wanting for years. They seem to have been designed by someone who understands off road running. They have the grip of Inov8 roclites, in a zero drop, wide toebox barefoot shoe. The sole is hard enough to give the shoe some structure and protect your feet from stone bruises, but thin enough to still have a minimal feel.

First time out with them was a 20km run in the dark across Rombalds moor. Grip was strong and positive, the forefoot was easily wide enough for my giant duck feet to spread out, and the occasional stone didn't provide a stub hazard as the rands are substantial enough to protect your toes.

Just to check, I went out last night for another try. Full tilt, brakes off from Windgate Nick to Slade above Addingham I didn't slip once. Hill reps up and down the mud and rock of Nab End above Silsden were the same - better than Wave Harriers, about as good as Roclites.



I'm not a total devotee of the 'sport laces' found on most running shoes these days, but I can live with them. The important thing is that I can run confidently on fell terrain, and don't have to buy a new pair every 250km.

Time will tell whether they're more durable than the trail freaks. They certainly feel it, and I'm pretty sure the main problem with trail freaks was that the whole shoe was too flexible, leading to strain on the uppers when contouring. That's certainly not the case with the primus trail SGs, they're much more like fell shoes. I really hope there's enough market to make these popular, because they're exactly what I want out of running shoes.

Updates

Bit chafe-y though 

12 month durability update 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, are the primus waterproof? I had a pair of the trail freak winterproof and am looking for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't but they don't retain water, which is maybe even better than a waterproof shoe. They are made to take wet condition.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I read your review with a keen eye as a) I'm interested in these shoes and b) you've already run some of my local trails (I'm in otley and the chevin is my usual haunt) and so might be in a position to give me a thumbs up or down on the Primus Trail SG. I've been running in Altras for nearly a year now and think I have transitioned to a good midfoot strike but I've killed two pairs of Altra King MTs in a row. Blown holes in the same spot on the right instep. I bloody love the King MTs as they have the grip I need but I can't go for third pair. In my search for a replacement I am looking for grip as good as the King MTs, zero (or as near as dammit) drop and Hobbit-width foot friendly. I think the Primus Trail SG could be the one but I'm slightly concerned that they'll be a harsh transition for me as there is significantly less cushion (none?) than the King MTs which despite being low profile still have a 19mm stack height.

    Do you think the Primus Trail SG will feel too harsh for me or is it worth a transition period?

    Thanks
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    The SGs are not the thinnest shoes VB do by a long way, the combination of the studs & the slightly thicker sole makes them a good bit more rigid than their predecessors the Trail Freaks, or any of the VB road or casual shoes. They're definitely not padded though.
    I always found with conventional running shoes that they were unstable and uncomfortable when contouring. The SGs are more like fell shoes or cross country spikes in that regard. I feel a lot more secure in them on tussocks, off path and the kind of narrow, gnarly sheep tracks we have up on the moor away from the stone flagged paths (Coopers Cross to White Wells past the Badger stone for example).
    Something you could maybe try before dropping 100 quid plus on shoes that you're not sure of - try getting some ten quid plimsoles from ebay/amazon and running a smooth surface like the paths round Swinsty or Golden Acre park. That'll give you an idea of how much you need the padding.
    If you want to stick with some padding you could maybe look at Inov8 - their single arrow shoes are 3mm drop but they may be a /little/ more padded than the VBs.

    ReplyDelete